Jakafe's Twitter Box

Thursday 28 August 2008

Prenup Agreement Syndrome

Yesterday afternoon, a young lady came to my office. She held the usual appearance that every stereotype bar-girls (if I made up this term, I want a royalty) in Jakarta are strutting during the day. High-lighted hair, dark skin, coloured contacts, cleavage display, short cargo pants, gold accessories, and heavy make-up. Maybe there are more typical descriptions for me to choose, but I think I'll settle for those mentioned above. 

For now.

Anyway, you do know that particular feeling when you're just so used to your job and what you do for a living, right? One look at a certain type of client would turn you into a knowledge machine of what that person wants out of your services. The sort of aid being pursued under my league of capacity falls under legal service category, and looking at the lady, I can too clearly see that what she wanted was nothing too far from the word "Prenup".

Sure enough, she then explained about the current situation she's having with her future husband. Starting from the fact that he's a foreigner and how that condition prevents him from buying (and owning) a land in Indonesia. She then went on by telling me that even though he can personally own the land, it has to be under HER name instead, and the purchase needs to be done with the existence of a prenuptial between her and her future husband. At least, that's what she claimed her lawyers had said to her before. I agree to this of course, feeling rather peachy since by that, she understood her position well enough. Unfortunately, the peachiness doesn't last very long as she then told me her disagreement to such procedure.

This part, I find disturbing.

She finds the prenuptial agreement's separation of assets between spouses as quite an objection to hold, saying this could be a liability if by any chance they decided to have a divorce. I calmly disagree to her saying that even though, God forbid, they do decide to separate, she'll have what she owns in the first place and that he would be unable to take what's not his from the beginning. This is where it gets ridiculously tragic and funny, though. The lady, with all her pretentious bluntness of figuring things out, continued on by saying that the separation of assets on the prenup agreement would then prevent her from owning HIS personal assets back at his homeland prior to the marriage.

I think I blinked a couple of times because of this. And NO, I'll save you the trouble by not elaborating furthermore upon what I've gruelingly established with her. It's fascinating how apparent her motives are by this marriage she'll be having in the near future. How clear as day her intentions look to a professional legal official, and how shameless those eyes were justifying that very aim.

This seems to be a pattern for most of her kind. The group of girls that relies on the svelte lines of their bodies, and the clench of their privates to have foreign men lured in having them as their wives. For me personally, it has passed a borderline of irony when it comes to dealing with their sorts and going with their demands. Trying to be as effortless as I possibly can, I kept a professional manner and provided her with the many advantages of a prenup agreement, and to my surprise, she eventually decided to have it at the end.

Problem solved, you stupid, materialistic bitch.


-Tev-

3 comments:

Red Flashlight said...

So wait . . . are you a lawyer? A housewife? A cafe owner? Or all three? Impressive!

Tev said...

Hahahahaha... I'm someone in between all three, and it's all just mediocre standards, really..

Thanks for the comment!

Anonymous said...

That's really sad. I feel sorry for the guy.